Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Casserole
Sweet Potato Casserole is classic favorite, with toasted marshmallow topping, sweetened pecans and a flavorful sweet potato mash. Using a slow cooker eases the cooking process while time in the oven guarantees the caramelized pecan topping and toasted marshmallows.
Serves: 8 / Hands-on: 20 minutes / Total: 40 minutes / Difficulty: Easy
- 5 pounds sweet potatoes, washed, peeled and cut into 2” pieces
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans
- 3 cups mini marshmallows
- Put the chopped sweet potatoes in the bottom of a slow cooker. Add in the water. Cover and cook the potatoes 4 hours on HIGH, stirring occasionally until the potatoes are fork tender.
- When the potatoes are tender, drain the water from the slow cooker.
- Mash the sweet potatoes right in the slow cooker and stir in the butter, cream, vanilla, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and ground ginger. Allow the mix to heat through as you complete the next step.
- Mix together the brown sugar, flour, melted butter and chopped pecans. Set aside.
- Coat a 9”x13” pan with cooking spray. Spoon the potato mix into the pan and smooth the surface.
- Pour the pecan mixture on top of the sweet potatoes.
- Bake the casserole, uncovered, at 375ºF for 15-20 minutes to caramelize the pecan mix.
- Top with the marshmallows and bake for an additional 5 minutes, until the marshmallows are toasted and puffy.
- Serve immediately.
- Tip: If you’d like to skip the oven, leave the potato mix in the slow cooker. Combine the topping ingredients and sprinkle it evenly over the contents. Add the marshmallows and then cover and cook 15-30 minutes until heated through.