Peaches and Cream Ice Cream
Cream cheese added just before the freezing adds a nice tanginess to the sweetness of the fresh peaches. A bit of caramel sauce drizzled over would be the perfect topping on a warm summer evening!
Serves: 8 / Hands-on: 20 minutes / Total: 11 hours / Difficulty: Medium
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- 3 large egg yolks
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 package (4 oz.) softened cream cheese
- 5 fresh peaches, peeled, pitted, and chopped
- In a small saucepan, combine the milk, sugars, and salt. Stir over medium heat. Once simmering, remove from heat, cover, and allow to steep for 1 hour.
- After 1 hour, reheat milk mixture over medium-low heat.
- In a separate bowl, whisk egg yolks. Once milk mixture is hot, temper the yolks by adding half of the mixture into the eggs, whisking constantly. Return mixture to saucepan, and heat until thickened.
- Pour heavy cream into a large mixing bowl over an ice bath. Strain custard into the cream, stirring until cooled. Add vanilla extract, cream cheese, and peaches; stir well, and place in refrigerator until thoroughly chilled, about 5 hours or overnight.
- Once chilled, add to ice cream maker and follow manufacturer’s instructions for freezing.