Classic Sugar Cookies
This easy recipe brings creativity to the kitchen, plus kids of all ages can get involved by decorating their own cookies.
Serves: 24 / Hands-on: 2 hours / Total: 2 hours 10 minutes / Difficulty: Easy
- 6 tbsp. butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for rolling
- 1⁄2 tsp. baking powder
- 1⁄2 salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 4 tbsp. milk
- Food coloring
- Sprinkles or decorating sugars
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, add butter and sugar. Beat until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla.
- With mixer on low, gradually add flour, baking powder and salt. Divide dough in half.
- Roll each dough half between parchment paper to about ¼” thickness. Place on a baking sheet and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Remove top piece of parchment and use desired cookie cutters to cut out cookies and place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone mat. If dough gets soft, chill about 10 minutes until cold.
- Bake, rotating halfway through until edges are golden, about 10-18 minutes. Cool cookies completely.
- Sift powdered sugar into a small bowl, then whisk in milk. Divide into bowls, then tint with desired food coloring. Decorate cookies as desired.